The view from my bookshelf {February}

February was a whirlwind month!  There was downtime, but it doesn't feel like it... funny how that happens!  So here we are.  March.  The first day of spring is in a few weeks.  We're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  There's still a bit of tunnel left, and there may be some snow to walk through.  But there's a light, and that's so exciting!

Reading:  Books and Audio Books

February got kicked off with an audio book that just sucked me right in!  The Kitchen House kept me company in the dark and frigid hours as I drove to work.  It takes a lot to get me interested and excited before 7 am - so that should be an indicator for you.  Fantastic!

Don't you love killing two - or more! - birds with one stone?  Jane Eyre.  A fantastic classic.  A book that's been on my TBR list for quite some time.  A classic I probably should have read in high school but didn't.  ...and I crossed a title from my "Back to the Classics" challenge! Bonus - I was inspired to do a little research on Charlotte Bronte, and I have to say her life is a very interesting story.  What could possibly be better?

To wrap up February, it was a pleasure to become absorbed in Let the Great World Spin.  I had heard so many fantastic things about this one, and every one of them was true! 

Reading:  The Friday Five

In case you're looking for some new blogs, and great blog posts - you're in luck!  Here are the Friday Fives from February.

February 4
February 11
February 25

Reading:  Where's my bookmark?

My Grandmother - who I'm very close to - is really into this "Quilter" series by Jennifer Chiaverini.  I hadn't read one for awhile, so I grabbed two of them from the library.  It's not my typical genre, but it's fun for Gram and I to talk books!  I'm working on The Christmas Quilt first, then Circle of Quilters.  I'm expecting them to be pretty fast reads, but we'll see - with the kind of weeks I've been having, you never know!

I'm a week behind in War and Peace - although that probably won't last because I plan on catching up this evening.  Be on the lookout for my first discussion post on chapters 1-59.  I have an outline, but once again, I'm behind!

I downloaded Me Talk Pretty One Day but have not started it yet.  I go through spurts of audio book listening.  I'll do a few in a row, then I just want music.  I have a lot of driving to do this weekend, perhaps I'll start it.

Life:  Outside the pages

February's had its ups and downs.

My husband celebrated his 31st!  We had a little party/dinner with his folks to celebrate, and I baked a kickass cake.  Not that I'm bragging.  But I am - it was pretty fantastic!  No box involved - a chocolate cake with pumpkin cream cheese filling and a chocolate glaze.  We topped it with crushed heath bar, a favorite of Den's!

We had a quiet Valentine's Day - we're not really big on the whole commercial aspect of the holiday.  Although - Dennis DID send me flowers at work, which always makes my day.  How pretty!

I had February vacation this month!  There was a couple of days where I spent the day at home being productive yet lazy at the same time.  I went up to the White Mountains with Gram and my sister-in-law (Katie) to visit my Mom for a couple of days.  We went shopping, went out for dinner, just had fun in general!

Shortly before vacation Dennis bought me a package of Pringles mini tubes.  I suspect they were laced with crack because I could. not. stop. eating.  them.  I decided, upon going back to work this week, to start up again with the South Beach diet.  I had done it in the past - basically lots of veggies, dairy, lean meat, fruit and whole/high fiber grains - and had a lot of success with it.  It's been 5 days.  I've lost 3 pounds.  I'm not hungry, and I like the food.  Win, win, win!

Documentation of my addiction.

Lastly, at the very end of February, my friend Lori and her husband, Dave, lost their 5 month old son, Coby to SMA Type 1 - Spinal Muscular Atrophy.  This is a devastating disease, and it's been heartbreaking to see two wonderful young parents go through this horrible ordeal.  They've been asking for prayers, and I thought I'd spread the word.

Hopefully March will bring warm weather and some more happiness.

Comments