The View from my Bookshelf {November}



Reading: Books and Audio Books


Wow - a light month.  


I guess if you're only going to get in one review, at least it was a fun one to write about.  This November I read Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality.  Interesting and fun to read.


I finally got real and came to terms with the fact that I will not be finishing two out of the three challenges I signed up for in 2011.  I'm not finishing on time, but I still plan on finishing.  I obviously have some serious problems if I feel confined by a list I created... mental note: you may have control issues.


The one challenge I DID finish (last night, to be exact...) is the War and Peace challenge.  And let me tell you, friends - I was behind and did a lot of W&P reading this month.  Hmmm... maybe I read more than the one review up there makes it look like!


I had so much fun tackling W&P that I decided to host a challenge of my own... Chunkster Readalong: Les Miserables in 2012.  Clicky-click to read more about this incredibly low key challenge and (hopefully!) sign up.  


Reading: The Friday Five


I kind of failed at Friday Five this month.  I recently posted that until life clears up and grad school becomes less insane (more on that below) Friday Five will be a little sporadic.  I only graced you with one this month.  


November 18-20


Reading: Where's my Bookmark?


My husband got me hooked on the Game of Thrones series!  I'm really impressed with the writing, I fully plan on diving from book 1 straight into book 2.  I'm 52% finished, according to Kindle.  Delightful!  Has anyone read these?  Dennis loves them!


Life: Outside the Pages


OMG grad school is kicking my ass these past four weeks.  I just started week 5 of 7 and the end can't come fast enough.  (Or maybe it's coming too fast and that's the problem?)  This course is "Analytical Techniques" (basically a writing intensive form and analysis music theory course).  It's killing me.  I'm forever grateful to work with such a supportive colleague (namely Carl!) who is working through the assignments with me when I get stuck.  He's a lifesaver.


Thanksgiving was something I was looking forward to - hosting my first family holiday!  The house looked beautiful.  Appetizers made.  Turkey in the brine.  I wake up at 2 am sicker than I've ever been in my life!  Food poisoning!!!  Noooooo!  My guess is that somehow the turkey touched something that ended up in my mouth.  I won't go into detail lest I lose followers, let's just say it was the worst day ever.  To top it all off not being able to keep food down = the biggest caffeine withdrawal headache imaginable.  Dennis was wonderful - he called my Mom and explained my problems, kissed my forehead and declared he was making the turkey anyway and we'll have a private Thanksgiving when I return to the land of the living.   


We're having beautiful weather up here in NH.  It's been a mild week - low 60's.  I am looking forward to a little S*N*O*W though...


Hope all is well! 

Comments