Let's get real...

Let's get real.  A post about challenges and how I'm not going to finish them but still plan to finish them.


I signed up for three challenges in 2011.  A War and Peace readalong challenge hosted by "A Room of One's Own", the TBR challenge hosted by "Roof Beam Reader", and the Back to the Classics Challenge hosted by "Sarah Reads Too Much".  The state of affairs is not where I expected to be on the morning of our first snowstorm of the season.  


I'm going to finish War and Peace.  I'm actually pretty much on schedule to do this.  I found that I really liked reading a really big book over a long period of time.  Actually, my mom and I plan to do this again in 2012 with Les Miserables.  (Anyone want to join?  I may host this...?)  Anyway, this challenge has been a big priority to me because W&P is on my bucket list.  


I'm sorry to say that there's no way I'll be able to finish the other two.  And that's okay.  Really, it is.  I give myself permission to let it slide.  So I won't finish by the deadline, but I will still finish.  I made a commitment and I'm going to follow through.  Late.  All the books I put up on those lists are worthwhile pieces of literature and I'll keep crossing off the list until I'm done.  So I'm not finishing, but I am at the same time.  Make sense?


I discovered something about myself through this process.  I don't like reading from a list.  I just don't dig it.  I like to close a book and decide right then and there what the new book will be.  A new release I read about?  Perhaps a piece of classic literature?  The entire Laura Ingalls Wilder series?  Maybe something off my TBR shelf?  The world is my oyster!  


Essentially, I'm kind of messed up because I picked the books on the challenge list yet I still feel like the list is telling me what to do.  Hmmm... 


Anyway, to make a long story longer, I got a little derailed from the challenge list because the desire to read a certain book or series lifted me up and I just went with it.  


Enjoy the weekend - peace out!

Comments