Review: The Night Sister

Title: The Night Sister
Author: Jennifer McMahon
Click here to purchase

I received The Night Sister in my Book Riot Horror box!  Halloween is, hands down, my favorite time of year, so this book is right up my alley.

The Tower Motel is a big attraction in London, Vermont during the 1950s.  Many years later, three girls - Amy, Piper, and Piper's sister, Margot - uncover a secret about the hotel and Amy's past that tears their friendship apart.  Now adults, Piper receives a panicked phone call from Margot - Amy has supposedly killed her family and herself.  Before she died, Amy scrawled a message to her two old friends.  "29 Rooms."

This was a great story.  It bounced between three time periods.  1) The Tower Motel in the 1950s and the two sisters who live there, Rose and Sylvie.  2) 1989, the fateful summer that Piper, Margot, and Amy (Rose's daughter) discover some dark secrets about the hotel and Amy's family.  And 3) present day Piper and Margot trying to piece together the cryptic message from Amy before she died.

This was a really fun, fast, and creepy read.  I read Jennifer McMahon's The Winter People last winter, and if you liked that, this has a similar feel.  It's not gory or jump-out-at-you-scary, but it's creepy for sure.  I'm happy it was part of this horror box (totally worth the $100, btw!).

The story kept me guessing, and I can't resist books that bounce between different time periods.  Go check it out and be prepared to read it fast!

Comments