Comic I'm Loving - Wytches


These are not the witches of our childhood.  No green face make-up.  No hocus pocus.  These Wytches are absolute monsters.  They're huge and gangly.  They are coming for you.


I started reading Wytches about a year ago.  I subscribe to the single issues from my local comic book shop.  This means that every month there is a new issue in my subscription box at my shop.  The first six issues complete a story arc, and you can buy all six issues condensed in a paperback (called a trade paperback).  I highly recommend you pick this up.

This comic is about a family trying to escape a trauma.  Trying to get their lives back on track.  Spoiler - it's not going to happen.  These Wytches live in trees.  You can pledge another person's life to the Wytches.  And in return, you can basically get whatever you want.  A longer life.  Health.  Love.  And if you're pledged, that's it.  The Wytches will not stop until you are theirs.

So this comic taps into the part of me that love spooky things.  These Wytches are terrifying.  Look at this.


The art is amazing.  I'm not sure what's in the trade, but in the single issues, there is a short piece from the author at the end of each issue.  He has talked about how he got the idea, and how the art is created.  It's the most unique art I've seen in a comic.  Absolutely amazing.

The artist, Jock, creates the panels and overlays it with watercolor splotches done on paper, scanned, and digitally combined with the illustrations.  It's so great.  And it creates this feeling of disorientation that really fits the storyline.  I can't say enough about it.


The storyline is scary, but also really thought provoking from a parenting perspective.  It really has a lot to do with being a parent, and the fears you are constantly harboring for your kids.  This comic really has a lot to say.  I used to think comics were just superheros or Charlie Brown cartoons.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  There is real substance here, and it's coupled with some amazing images.

If you're interested, you should definitely get the first volume - Wytches Volume 1 and check it out.  This is, by far, one of my favorite comics.  Don't miss out.

Comments