The Red Garden, Alice Hoffman

Title:  The Red Garden
Author:  Alice Hoffman
Pages:  304
Genre:  Fiction
Source:  Kindle
Why I picked it up:  Another free wishlist download from NH!
What you'll love:  Interesting and creative basis for a book.
What will bug you:  Lots of characters to keep track of!

This is the story of Blackwell, Massachusetts.  The story spans 300 years, and each chapter is centered around a different town resident in a different period of history.

I loved this idea.  The town of Blackwell is actually the main character of the story.  I thought it was such a creative basis upon which to write a book!  The story begins with the founding members of the town and continues to present day.  Each chapter moves through history, illustrating the transformations the town takes as time marches on.

Each chapter is from the point of view of a different resident, many of whom connect in some way.  For example, you may have one chapter about a woman, and the next is about her granddaughter.  In many ways, this story reminded me of Olive Kitteridge because the chapters were loosely connected and pieced together.

My only qualm about the book was that the characters were hard to keep track of sometimes.  Someone would be referenced, they sounded familiar, but I had a hard time remembering exactly what their story was. This qualm needs to be taken with a grain of salt, however, because truth be told I read this book mostly during late night baby feedings and any daytime reading was when I was sleep deprived!  The confusion may just be my foggy brain!





A great story!  I'm glad to have crossed it off of my list!

Comments