The Friday Five {October 28-30}

Why hello - I'm sure you thought I stopped reading blogs and gave up sharing my five with you.  Be honest now... 


I didn't give up reading them, but I did take some time off because the last couple weeks of my grad class were kicking my behind.  I opened my google reader to a horrifying 1000+ posts!  In all honesty I skimmed.  I don't think you blame me!  


Here are all the ones that jumped out at me... today is the Friday Five and then some!  (Um - actually, there's a lot!  All the way back to banned books week - I think I was flagging stuff for the five and then never had time to write the five!  Eeeek!)


Before that, here are some wonderful things...


* My week between classes and I'm taking full advantage.  Lots of sleep, curling up on the couch at night with a cup of tea and a book - all the things I either have not been doing a lot of, or have been doing and feeling guilty because I have homework to do.


* Halloween is coming!  My favorite holiday.  No.  For reals.  I love Halloween - I've always been a fan of things that are spooky, and that combined with the chilly weather and the crunchy leaves, the smell of a wood fire wafting through the crisp air.  Bliss.  (Okay, I like Christmas too - but for now I'm all about Halloween!)


* My little brother is turning 28 on Saturday!


* Toasted pumpkin seeds.  


There's more, but I think it's time to share some bloggy love...


1.  I'm sure this happens to you all the time - you see a post about a book that's been on your wishlist for awhile and the post makes you want to bump it to the top.  Am I right?  That's happened to me a few times lately.  


I read Self-Made Man by Norah Vincent a bunch of years ago - pre-blog.  Since then, I've wanted to check out her second book, Voluntary Madness: My Year Lost and Found in the Loony Bin.  I had kind of forgotten about it until I saw this review by "Caroline Bookbinder".  


"Tina Says" did the same thing!  I've had Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen on my list and after seeing what Tina had to say it's moving toward the top!  


2.  Truthfully, I'm not usually a big poetry person.  It's not that I don't like it - I do - it's just not usually something I seek out.  Luckily it's been popping into my google reader!  (And it's seasonal!)  


Here are a few posted by Christopher at "ProSe".  They all made my day!  (I guess I'm rhyming now... the poetry is messing with my brain!)  "The Last Chrysanthemum" by Thomas Hardy, "Autumn in King Hintock Park" by Thomas Hardy, and "Autumn" by Christina Rossetti.  


"The Story Girl" also got in on the act - she shares not only a photograph, but a little George Eliot on Autumn.


And to finish it off - a little haiku that had me nodding and laughing courtesy of "The Bodhi Chicklet".  


3.  There were some great posts during Banned Books Week!  This was actually before life got real crazy, so I was able to really enjoy what everyone had to say.  Here were a few that jumped out at me.  


* "Every Book and Cranny" celebrating the freedom to read!
* "A Room of One's Own" defending literature
* ...and as only she can do, "Dead White Guys" thinks you need to admit it - you banned it because of the big words.


4.  These posts flat-out made me smile!  (...and I needed it, trust me!)


A little clown humor from Amy at "Lucky Number 13" 
* "Green Girl in Wisconsin" is searching for the source of a not-so-fresh smell
* "The Book Lady" shares with us all the little commonplace sayings that we should be thanking Shakespeare for
* Color me Katie finds a bathroom curtain solution that guards her from creepers and looks totally cute from outside


All things that will brighten your day!

5.  Things that make you go "hmmmm..."


* "Page Turners" is wondering what makes you leave a comment?
* "The Book Lady" shares 10 best-selling books that were originally rejected.  Hope for authors everywhere!!!


6.  I love seeing reviews of books I loved!  "Breadcrumb Reads" shares her thoughts on The Poisonwood Bible.  "The Lit Quest" read a fall classic - perfect for Halloween!  The Legend of Sleepy Hollow!  


7.  I also love seeing a review for a book that I immediately add to my wishlist!  Thanks to "The Betty and Boo Chronicles" for alerting me to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs!


8.  Finally, let's end with some good eats.  


First, out of "Smitten Kitchen" there are some apple pie cookies that look amazing.  Am I the only one who goes apple picking and then trying to figure out what to do with all these apples?  I can't an entire pie alone - or at least I shouldn't eat an entire pie alone!


Second, "Annie's Eats" gives two recipes that look like they will end up on my table asap.  Shrimp pasta with oven dried tomatoes?  Yes, please!  Also, this recipe for creamy stovetop mac and cheese looks divine.  I saw the second picture with the cheese looking all stretchy and actually uttered a yummy noise.  


Whew.  To avoid future posts of this ungodly length I'll have to keep up with my reader.  Enjoy everyone - clicky click!  

Comments