Hop!

Book Blogger Hop
Welcome blog hoppers!  

Thank you to Jennifer at Crazy for Books for hosting the hop!!!!!

If you're visiting Kate's Library for the first time, thanks for stopping by!  I hope you decide to stay.  If you're a long-time follower saying hey... I'm sending a "Hey!" right back at ya.  At Kate's Library you'll find mostly book related posts of literary fiction and historical fiction.  Check out the "Reviews" tab at the top of the page to see if our tastes are the same.

Some wonderful things before the prompt - 

* Getting an early start to the work day so I'm all organized.

* Pumpkin Spice coffee.

* www.pandora.com  Create a station using the band "Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings".  You'll thank me later.

Our prompt this week is to share our favorite banned or frequently challenged book.  

This list is shocking.  

My favorite book on the list is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.  I read this for "summer reading" the summer before my AP English class in high school.  This was the first piece of required reading that didn't feel like work.  It's something that I could just pick up on my own.  I feel like it brought back some of the love of reading I had lost in high school (because we all know that reading for pleasure and reading to figure out how to get an "A" on your test are two different things...)  Last spring I emailed the teacher who had assigned this book so many years ago.  I let him know that he gave me my favorite book.  I've read it almost every year since, and my husband bought me a first edition for my birthday a few years ago.  He was happy to hear it!  

Some books that do not qualify as a favorite but are just comical/rant-inducing/ridiculous to be challenged or banned?  Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.  Also - Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary.  Are you for serious?  The dictionary??????  Apparently kids were looking up dirty words.  Translation: I don't feel comfortable talking to my kids about sex, therefore I will pretend it does not exist and yes, I'm willing to take the risk that they can't define basic words because they don't have access to a dictionary.  According to a public school in Virginia, Ann Frank included sexual material and homosexual themes.  First of all, I don't remember either of those things in the book - granted it's been a long, long time since I read it.  Second, even if they are in the book, I'm pretty sure it's not "the thing" you're supposed to get out of reading it.  

Whew.  I think this is my longest prompt response to date.  Who doesn't like a good rant before 8:00 am?  

Have a great weekend!!!!

Comments