The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger

Title: The Time Traveler's Wife
Author: Audrey Niffenegger
Genre: Fiction, Romance
Pages: 537
What you'll love: Everything.
What will bug you: Nothing.



I decided to revisit one of my favorite books, The Time Traveler's Wife. I am in love with this book. Rereading it was like burrowing down into a warm, comfortable bed. Have you read this book? If not - GO GET IT! It is beyond fantastic.

I know what you're thinking - "Hey, Kate... you're a MA teach
er? Right? Weren't you just on February vacation? If this book's really so wonderful, why did it take you over a week to read?" It's a valid question. The answer is simple. Yes, I was on vacation. And we're renovating our kitchen. I've been sanding, priming, and painting all day. In my spare moments - surrounded by paint fumes and utterly exhausted - I read The Time Traveler's Wife. If you're interested in my adventures in home improvements, you can visit my other blog and read all about it! :)

This novel is a romance of the highest order. Our characters are Henry DeTamble, and Clare Abshire. Henry is a time traveler - he jumps to the past and future involuntarily. These two people have their pasts and presents completely intertwined, and the result is the ultimate love story. Am I gushing? I feel like I'm gushing...

I expected this book to be confusing. I read it for the first time a few years ago, and while flipping t
hrough the pages in the book store, I thought it was going to be hard to follow. So many dates! Each break in the book begins with the date (which varies from the late 70's to present) and the ages of the characters - for example "Saturday, December 24, 1988 - Henry is 40, Clare is 17". However, I was relived to find that the book makes complete sense. I was never confused about when in time the story was taking place.

I really love everything about the book - but I will name a few things specifically.

First -

I like the language. I'm not a "romance novel" person. I get annoyed by the language. I hate reading about "heaving bosoms" etc. etc. etc. I find it aggravating. The language in this story is
real. It's not roundabout. There's sex, but not too much. The love scenes are not shy, but not graphic. I respect that. The characters talk to each other they way normal people talk to each other. Sometimes I love books because the language immerses me in the scenery. In this case, I love it because it immerses me in the conversation. (Added bonus - Henry and Clare are smart, intellectual people, and I love all the literary references!)

Second -

Because of the time period jumps, I love how you get hints of what is to come. I like trying to figure things out for myself. Events are not necessarily sequential, but they fall into place perfectly.

Third -

OK, I admit it. I'm
slightly in love with Henry DeTamble. There. I said it. Who wouldn't be? He's absolutely enamored with Clare, and aside from some of the things he's forced t
o do while time traveling, he's really perfect. At least to me. The word "devoted" does not even begin to cover Henry.

Did I convince you? If we were sitting at a coffee shop I could find so much more to say. I can't get it all down in print. Please. Buy this book.





Comments

  1. I LOVe this book. It's one of the best I've read in the past year.

    http://kathylovestoread.blogspot.com/2009/08/currently-reading-time-travelers-wife.html

    Have you seen the movie?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment